quote

if you're going through hell, keep going.....
- Churchill




Thursday, November 25, 2010

if you're going through hell, keep going ...

Good advice.  Hard to take.  At least when I need it the most....  The rest of the time it just seems common sense.  Common sense to a rational relaxed human being, one NOT going through hell.

*****

I often fall trap to the overwhelming sensation of things that aren't going as I feel they should.  It is not long before I feel I am failing horribly.  Instead of taking a step back and tackling the hurdles in smaller increments, I decide that if I line two of them up together, run faster and jump harder,  I can overcome my first attempt and failure AND the manner which I have done so will be SO impressive that people will forget or ignore that I failed in the first place.

I approach the first set of hurdles doubled up......  CRASH.  Now what.   NOW  maybe, just maybe if I set them up three at a time.  All I have to do is run FASTER and jump HARDER.  I can do it.  I know I can.

CCCRRRRAAAASSSSSHHHHHHH

That didn't go so well.  This time there are scrapes and bruises to more than just my ego.  But I THINK if I line up four hurdles together...

My mind is starting to race ahead for me, watching myself tumble and fall and crash as I continue to line up more and more hurdles creating greater distances to cross, anticipating the pain and growing frustration.....  While I stand still.

It would have been more simple and less bruising to accept a small penalty at the beginning and to continue plugging away one hurdle at a time.

I can see that now.  As I set the hurdles up again and start from the beginning... one at a time... for now...

*****

Tonight I am humbled that what I am going through is not hell.  It is an essay.  All  I need to do is get the words down on paper.

I am of sound health
I am blessed with supportive family, boyfriend, and friends who love me

I am smart.  I am capable.

*****

Stepping back to find clarity and focus is not always this simple.
Question tonight is:

              Do you have tips or tricks for stepping back and putting things in perspective when
              you are overwhelmed?

*****

Countdown: 

28 sleeps
06 assignments
05 exams

*****

goodnight and bye for now,

M

No comments:

Post a Comment